Monday, March 9, 2009

It must be an unwritten rule...


It must be an unwritten rule that as soon as you pay off your car it has major problems! We went to Memphis this weekend for our nephew Chandler's baptism. On the way to Doug's sisters' house after the baptism our van started acting funny. We pulled over into a church parking lot and tried calling members of Doug's family. Almost everyone still had their phones off. (How did we survive before cell phones?) While we were trying to make phone calls a family that was at the baptism pulled over to see if we need help. We used to be in the same ward as Chandler's family, so we knew this family. They ended up calling someone else that had been at the baptism that is good with cars (I guess). He and four of his five very well-behaved kids came to help us. Doug finally got in touch with Amy and Grant. Then two of Doug's sisters and a brother-in-law came to get us. All the men were in agreement that the problem was with the transmission. They were correct. Our transmission has to be rebuilt! Doug and Travis got the van back to Denise and Donna's. Today, Doug's dad had it towed to a repair shop. We were worried about how and when we would get back home! Luckily, my sister only has three kids at home right now and unfortunatly her husband is in Afganistan, so she didn't need her van. The van has become my niece Megan's car. When we asked Megan if we could borrow it for the week, she just shrugged her shoulders and said "sure" and acted like it was no big deal. I would like to think at 16 that I would give up my car for a week that easily. But I really don't think I would have. I'm not sure what we would have done if we couldn't have used my sister's van. Doug had to be back for work and Quinn has to go to school. Plus, I'm helping with the Spring Fair at Quinn's school. We have to get my sister's van back to her by Saturday, so we are really praying that our van is repaired by then. We are grateful for all the help we got, even from members of our old ward, that we moved out of almost 7 years ago!

3 comments:

JNew said...

i'm glad it all worked out, but man...car trouble sucks. and car trouble when you're out of town doubly sucks

D and M said...

Yikes... I suggest Colman Taylor if it isn't there yet. We use them all the time at work. Good people that are trust worthy!!!

npage79 said...

The thought of car trouble sends me into a panic attick. I am glad you had help though.