Sunday, February 22, 2009

On pulled teeth, police cruisers, Google and Crest

We had a very interesting sequence of events earlier today. It all started when we realized that Quinn's other bottom front tooth was indeed wiggly and ripe for the plucking. We had suspected as such for quite some time, but now our determination that the tooth must come out was strengthened. After a few attempts (ahem... wrestling matches with much screaming, weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth) and some failed bribery, I was able to finally get the tooth out! No sooner than I had begun to celebrate the extraction, we noticed that there were two police cruisers parked outside our house. My fear was that someone had heard Quinn's protestations and thought that he was being beaten - it sure would have sounded like it from the outside. After a few tense moments of trying to figure out how to explain to a police officer that, yes I was holding my 6 year old son down with every conceivable wrestling move I could think of, but no, I was not abusing him (at least not physically...), we figured out that they were talking to a group of skateboarding teens who must have been disturbing some one's peace. So with that behind us, Tasha tells me that Riley is being too quiet in the back of the house. I went back to the office and found that Riley had drawn all over her face, the computer desk and our LCD monitor with a permanent marker! She will have a very nice moustache for a few days. After trying good old elbow grease, water and rubbing alcohol, I was disappointed to see the majority of the monitor still covered in black squigglies. Thinking that surely I was not the first victim of such preschooler graffiti, I did what anyone in this situation would do. I went to Google. Once again, the world's best search engine did not let me down. Turns out that toothpaste is abrasive enough to remove permanent marker without damaging the monitor. I was pretty skeptical, but after smearing Crest Extra Whitening (with Peroxide, mind you) toothpaste all over the monitor and computer desk, the squigglies came right off and the monitor was minty fresh! I would have never guessed that toothpaste was so useful! I find it a little ironic that this strange chain of events started with tooth care and also ended with tooth care... Here are a few pictures. Quinn's tooth can be seen in the bag around the ear on the left.

6 comments:

Brooke said...

What a fun afternoon for you!!! Hairspray also removes permanent marker, but I don't know that you'd want to spray it on your computer... Good to know about the toothpaste, that's a new one for me!

Hannah's tooth is hanging by the tiniest of threads, but she won't let us anywhere near her mouth!! Maybe I should drop her off at your place for half an hour or so.

ADenton said...

There must be something in the Denton genes that won't allow you to let nature takes it's course. Grant would have wrestled for the tooth too! As Lauren got a little older, she would sometimes come to Grant with a paper towel (helps to dry the tooth off and get a better grip) and voluntarily ask for help. Now the fights are over pimples. I just want everyone to leave each other alone.

That toothpaste trick would have come in handy back when Holly was Riley's age and she left her Sharpie squiggles all over my leather couch. I tried alcohol, windex, hairspray, etc. Nothing ever worked. Did they have google back in '97? I'll have to look that up on wiki . . .

JNew said...

that's a lot of excitement for one day - i'm worn out just reading about it!

Jen said...

Ohmygoodness! I swear, we have the same family. Or I guess the same events happen within our families. We actually got the police called on us when Triston was 2--he had tried climbing a baby gate and fell with a terrible commotion. Our downstairs neighbors called. About 6 months ago, Jackson wrote on our moniter screen with a Sharpie also. Toothpaste really does work! I loved it! Silly kids!

D and M said...

Too funny!!! All of it. Quinn being freaked out over his tooth pulling. The police near by. And your little Picasso doing her thing.

Amy said...

We should seriously consider tossing Mary and Riley in a room together with nothing but a pack of markers. I'm sure that both of them have some tips to share with like minded artists, and we could probably clean up (financially speaking) if we marketed it properly. Otherwise, Mary is quite handy with a tube of toothpaste as well. She clearly knew something I didn't cause I always thought she was just making more of a mess with it! (Incidentally, it removes varnish handily as well.)